On this day …….. 4th May 1853

On this day in 1853, the first Beechworth Post Office opened.  Of course the building that stands today is not the original.  The first was a makeshift affair, of wooden construction, bearing the name Spring Creek Post Office, Ovens Goldfields. Two months later, the name would change to Beechworth and be declared a town. In the first 6 months, up to 500 unclaimed letters,were waited to be collected by mines arriving on the diggings.