On this day …….. 25th of August 1909
Long Bay Correctional Centre is located at Malabar, about 12 kilometres south of Sydney, New South Wales. It is Australia’s only prison to have been planned from the start with separate prisons for men and women. It was also the first prison in New South Wales to focus on rehabilitating inmates, rather than punishing them. The site was chosen in accordance with the tenets of 1770s English prison reformer John Howard, who believed jails should be positioned away from settled areas and preferably on the rise of a hill, where they would be subject to the full force of the wind. The entire plan for the gaol was based on new and different ideals in reform, such as the ‘restricted association’ advocated by William Frederick Neitenstein, comptroller-general of prisons from 1896 to 1909. ‘restricted association’ limited contact between different groups of prisoners to avoid long-term prisoners from having a corrupting influence on young or first-time offenders. Construction on the female reformatory began in 1901, and this was the first section to be opened. The official opening occurred on 25 August 1909. The male penitentiary opened five years later, in 1914. In 1969, the women were transferred to a new facility at Silverwater. The old women’s reformatory was initially converted into a training centre, then later used for minimum security inmates.