On this day …….. 23rd of July 1913

Rutherglen switched to electricity on this day in 1913. Before that, electric lighting had been confined to the mines around the town, and Rutherglen’s were illuminated by kerosene lamps. With new generated equipment in place, and Mrs Henrietta Gollings, on hand to officiate at the ceremony, Rutherglen took the plunge from darkness into light. Rutherglen changed over to State generated power in 1926.