“The intelligence was contained in the following brief telegram to the chief harbourmaster, Captain Payne, from Mr. M. Gibson, a resident at Glenample, Curdie’s Inlet, sent via Camperdown :- ” Camperdown, 9 a.m. The ship Loch Ard was wrecked off this coast last night. All hands and passengers are supposed to be lost, except Miss Eveline Carmichael and Tom Pearson (midshipman), who swam ashore. The place of the wreck is about one mile east from the Sherbrooke. I hope protection will be given from wreckers.” On receiving the intelligence Captain Payne lost no time in communicating with the Commissioner of Trade and Customs, and had an intention of proceeding at once in the Government steamer Pharos to the scene of the wreck to see if any help or useful service could be rendered.”
A SENSATIONAL REPORT.
MOUNT ELEPHANT SMOKING.
A sensational rumour is in circulation in Ballarat to the effect that Mount Elephant, at Skipton, 32 miles south of this city, has for several days past been smoking, and that fire has now appeared on the summit. The mount is a favourite picnic resort for miles around the district, its caves being the chief attraction. It is said to be a well authenticated fact that these caves of late have become so extremely hot that no one can enter them, whereas they were hitherto quite cool. It is further stated that settlers in the district are becoming alarmed at the ominous aspect of the mount, and are leaving for other places.
William Jackson, a young man, while under the influence of drink, entered a coachpainter’s shop at Bendigo on this night in 1895, and stripping painted himself from head to foot. He was found in the morning and taken to the hospital. The result might have been serious had longer delay taken place
Claimed to be the world’s largest performing elephant, Cissie, owned by Ashton Bros.’ travelling circus, nearly ended her career at Buninyong on the morning of the 1st of September 1936. The elephant was entering the circus allotment behind a line of 45 horses, when she fell through a shell of earth covering what appeared to be the subsidence of an old mining shaft, nearly 10 feet deep. The elephant gave a wild bound upward, and scrambled, out of what appeared to be an Impossible predicament. In the sudden fall, the elephant’s rider was tossed 20 feet away, but escaped with abrasions and bruises. Cissie’s tusks were broken in two pieces.
James Irish was transferred from Yarra Bend Asylum on the 11th of June 1877, to the Beechworth Lunatic Asylum. Irish owned land in Eltham to the value of £5. On the 7th of December, Irish escaped from the Asylum and stayed at large for seven days.
Mrs. Elizabeth Patrick, 59, of East Prarhan, was shot dead while coming out of Luna Park on the night of the 20th of October 1940 with her husband. A brawl was in progress nearby when a shot was fired, hitting Mrs. Patrick in the stomach. She was, dead when taken to hospital. The police were informed that an attendants from sideshows attempted to quell the disturbance. It is alleged that one of the attendants drew a pistol to frighten the brawlers, and that it exploded. A man has been detained. During the disturbance a man, who was standing nearby received a bullet wound in the hand, while a Luna Park attendant received a flesh wound in the leg.
Melbourne Zoo officials were startled on the 3rd of August 1932, when Queenie the elephant, who had been breakfasting peacefully, suddenly stamped and trumpeting loudly from her house. Quivering from head to foot, her trunk raised aloft, she presented a picture of absurd dismay. The cause of her hysteria was a small possum which had dropped from the beams of the elephant house on to her back.
A remarkable sea monster was caught in Port Fairy on this day 1902 by J. and .W. Evans and R. McWilliam three fishermen. It was 9 ft 8 in. in length, had a tail resembling that of a screw tailshaft, no teeth, a nose like a rhinoceros, a head like an elephant, two dorsal fins, four side fins, and two steering fins. Even fishermen of over 40 years’ experience could not determine the species. It was sent to the Melbourne Museum.